Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Hungry Hungry Hippo

I have this problem where I rush out of the house and don't eat breakfast.

Since I can't typically eat anything from a convenience store and don't want to spend 1.50 for one apple I don't eat until I get home.

Once I get home I take out leftovers and scarf them and ride my bike straight back to school.

When I do eat breakfast , which is typically oatmeal, I feel like I am am even hungrier by the time lunch rolls around. 

No matter what I do I am hungry ALL THE TIME!

I feel like because it takes almost no time to digest my food it doesn't keep me full for very long. I'm not gaining weight. In fact, I'm staying at a pretty healthy weight, but I think about food all the time and I eat way more than I used to.

I feel very healthy, but it is frustrating to always be hungry and thinking about food. Even my partner "the meat eater" has found this to be true and has expressed his frustration.

I want to eat something that will keep me full and satisfied for a while.

Most awesomely graphic and terrifying hungry hungry hippo illustration:

I feel like the pink one.

-Jeffrey

PS.
Upon rereading this update, maybe I need to stop complaining. :)

2 comments:

Sara said...

I don't think you're complaining. Almost everyone goes through this. Obviously vegan food is (generally) less calorie-dense so you probably need an adjustment period. I know how frustrating it is to not have that convenience factor that everyone else has. You're forced to think ahead for everything involving food.

Snack bars are good to keep on you but they aren't very cheap. You could portion out some trail mix into zip-lock bags to take with you. I pack peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in Tupperware for lunch often.

adam said...

Here are several tips I gave before:
1. If you have a fridge, prepare a couple cups of (dry) legumes and rice and stirfry a pan-full of vegetables over the weekend. Customize it with your choice of spices and herbs and pack it up in Tupperware. Beans, rice, and veggies will survive longer than a salad, cost you very little money, save you a lot of time, and can conveniently travel around with you in a backpack for when you get hungry as you'll be able to heat it up in a microwave.

2. Likewise, make several simple sandwiches at a time and a bag of GORP to store in the refrigerator before you go to bed so you can just grab and go when you are late for classes.

3. I always have a cliffbar in my backpack as an emergency ration in case lunch isn't enough to carry me over before dinner. They are filling and relatively good for you and will save you a lot more money than if you bought something from a cafe or fast food joint instead.